personal

Friday, October 16, 2009

Andy Bathgate .......I've heard of him




Growing up in Chilliwack .............. 1963


When we were married we lived in Richmond....I worked in Vancouver for four years learning how to be a sign writer.We lived in Richmond, and rented a nice 3 bedroom bungalow for ninety dollars a month.....ouch! that was a lot ....father-in-law shook his head when he heard that...it was ridiculous....but we were the younger, mindless, spender generation and had no regard for a buck..... we were married 3 years, Shelley was a baby and money was tight........on many, many weekends we headed for Chilliwack....back to the rural area...and out of that busy city. I quite often "snapped" a job (moonlighting) to make extra money for traveling to Chilliwack and to get a 1.00 pass for the Deas Island tunnel, which was a toll in those days. A trip to Vancouver Island was just a dream....but it came true for me when I met Jack Lewis.....He was a plywood pirate.....he sold plywood that was a bit off grade...The mill wants to dump this plywood in one spot and have it out of their system...the plywood had a few delaminates and bumps....but was great for the sign business as it could be cut up and the best taken out of it....That was a very reasonable deal for the sign shop....It was a sideline for him...he was a retired wheeler dealer in real estate .....this kept him busy.........anyway....we hit it off...we talked fishing every time he came to call...I guess he could tell that I was pretty keen for fishing Steelhead , eventually he said..... why don't you let me take you to my cabin near the "Little Qualicum" river on Vancouver Island.....Hey man...I'd like that, but I can't afford it ...yeah....wow....sounds so good but I can't......hey, hey, relax...don't worry about it , your my guest....it won't cost you anything......I want to show you this set up...yeah, but....hey, I have a cabin. ....on the river.....oh jees......sounds great ...I will get back to you tonight......I told my wife at supper of the offer.....What, no cost... yeah...just overnight....back Sunday evening...... maybe a few bucks...but he insists, he says its on me, umm him ......well...heck of a deal, you should go...yay......So, early Saturday morning...real early....we head to the ferry in Jack's nice pick up....I am feeling a little embarrassed about him paying my way.......he always had a cigar sticking out of his face.....hey, relax.....this is on me......"money is only good for what it buys you...otherwise it is just useless paper"....Jack always said that....so I did....relax.....I did that....lets go fishin...the ferry docks in Nanaimo, from there we motor up Island........about an hour and we get to the Little Qualicum river, turn left just passed the bridge and after a short drive up a gravel road...here is the "cabin"......hmm, it is a nice bungalow type house......He turned things on and got it ready to live in, then, let's go....further up the river......we bumped up the road and soon came to a official looking Keep Out gate.....he has a key....(he knows somebody)......we drive right to the top end where most fishers have to walk a few miles too...there were no other vehicles there...not a soul....we had it to ourselves. He parked the truck in a clearing , we got out and put on our waders and jackets etc. It was a nice mild, overcast March day, I could hear the river...it wasn't very far away.......I follow Jack along a trail....man I am syked .....the sweet smell of Cottonwood trees is in the breeze....geeze this is livin......I wasn't disappointed when we got to the river.....it was in sparkling clear condition . The river drains out of a lake only a mile above where we are, then rambles through mixed pasture and forested land.....our first job was to get across the river and get to the pasture land side of it. The river crossing area had a huge Cedar tree laying half way across the water and the end of it rested on gravel where the water was knee deep...a very convenient natural bridge.....just below that log jam the river settled into a nice pool and run of fishy looking water.We work that pretty river hard for a few hours and are both rewarded with a Steelhead and lost a couple of others ......what a deal...and he is so good about it...offers me the best spots...and he lays back a while on all the pools before he starts to fish......how many guys will do that.......Jeez Jack , this is great......he was really enjoying me enjoying.....that was a great morning and we looked forward to a repeat the next day........ after we fished his favorite runs Jack looked at his watch and suggested we clean our fish and head for the Big Qualicum river, 6 miles up the highway ......yeah....the tide is starting in, I want to show you some cutthroat trout fishing......and he sure did....there was a log dump just up from the mouth of the river and for some reason the cutties liked that ...where the river came out of the forest into clear area and a deep run when the tide moved in.....the fishing was hot for about half an hour......we caught a few and missed a lot with the heavy duty steelhead gear....anyway that was fun and I tucked it away in my memory box for future trips to the Island.We had a coffee at a handy cafe then headed for the cabin......Jack was looking forward to the Hockey game at 5 o'clock..the Rangers were playing Boston......My son in law plays hockey.....Oh, that's cool.....I knew nothing about hockey........Where does he play.....PLAY...he plays here .....on TV.....yeah....really...wow....who does he play for........the New York Rangers.....yeah......Andy Bathgate.....who? Andy Bathgate .......I've heard of him, he is pretty good eh?.....and I go back and start to dry the dishes.....Jack is bug eyed watching the play...the cigar dancing back and forth in his mouth..... are you nuts....huh......don't you watch hockey....jees Jack .......hmm...I can see he is whacked out on this game....I guess it was a close score ......he said it's only weeks to the playoffs .....an yer drying dishes?...umm.....so I sat down and watched the game ....He went yahoo......so I went Yahoo.........I asked him brilliant questions ...like, who is that number 4 playing for Boston......he is pretty good eh........he must have thought I was hopeless......I got interested in Hockey 9 years later in 1972 ( the great Canada Russia series) and became an avid fan......only then I realized that having a son in law super star, was just about the biggest deal ever ......He said he would introduce me sometime when Andy was home.....It did not happen....the years flipped by.....moves took place.....I met him for the last time about 10 years later...It was on the Big Qualicum river......yep, we had a great talk.....then he faded out of my life, but always a really cool memory and a great learning experience.




Company Logo design

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home